- The Second Way Podcast has officially launched! In each episode, I’ll talk with folks about all the ways they seek peace, purpose, and meaning in their lives. Click here to listen now. New to the pod? Start with Episode 1! See all episodes listed below.
- How to Listen: Search “The Second Way Podcast with Nate Burke“ wherever you listen to podcasts or click on the links below to download or stream. You can also listen directly from this site by opening the blog post for each episode. iTunes / Apple Podcasts | Spotify | SoundCloud
- Episode 01: A “Second Way” to Ministry (Start here!)
Growing up, I believed I had been called to ministry. But, ya know… turns out I’m gay. My relationship with faith was further strained by my experience of surviving a violent sexual assault. Through it all, I’ve remained drawn to all things mysterious and miraculous, and have found new ways of serving a purpose bigger than myself. My ministry now? Exploring peace, purpose, and meaning with others. Click here to listen!
- Episode 02: Contextualizing Pulse (Pulse Orlando Series)
Episode 2 introduces the series on Pulse nightclub. Before talking with my guests in this series, I wanted to set the stage a bit about why places like Pulse are so important in the first place. For me, I found safety in a place like Pulse years before I found the courage to come out. Click here to listen!
- Episode 03: Working Through Depression (literally)
In this episode, I discuss my struggle with depression over the past year and some strategies that have helped me re-imagine my depression narrative and get back on track. For many of us, we don’t have the luxury of pausing to process our mental health. We have to keep working, keep paying the bills. This episode is about my attempts to work through these challenges, in both respects. Click here to listen!
- Episode 04: Christine Leinonen (Pulse Orlando Series)
Christine’s son Christopher (or as many of us knew him, “Drew”) was murdered along with 48 others at Pulse nightclub in Orlando, Florida over two years ago. Christine shares with us how her Catholic faith has changed significantly since the loss of her son, and how she has also found new meaning and purpose through activism and caring for other LGBTQ+ youth. Christine now sees herself as an advocate for Drew’s legacy, leveraging her experience as an attorney and former state trooper to help prevent future acts of hate and gun violence. Click here to listen!
- Episode 05: Brandon Wolf (Pulse Orlando Series)
Brandon shares with us how the experience of surviving Pulse but losing his two best friends has influenced the ways he seeks peace, purpose, and meaning in life. We also discuss Brandon’s activism, nonprofit work, issues of gun safety, and the need for LGBTQ+ safe spaces. Click here to listen!
- Episode 06: Angel Colon (Pulse Orlando Series)
Angel suffered six gunshot wounds and a shattered femur from the mass shooting on June 12, 2016 at Pulse nightclub. While lying on the floor wounded, Angel prayed for forgiveness and promised God that he would worship him for the rest of his life. Since that time, Angel’s faith has come to play a dominant role in every aspect of his life. It has also shifted his thinking on what it means to be gay, an identity he no longer claims.
- Episode 07: Tiara Parker (Pulse Orlando Series) COMING SOON!
- Episode 08: Dr. Christy Vincent (Mentor Series) COMING SOON!
- Episode 09: Maj. Gen. James Johnson (Mentor Series) COMING SOON!
- Episode 10: Dr. D-L Stewart (Mentor Series) COMING SOON!